On the final day of Summer NAMM, held July 17-19, a panel of music retail experts presented some true gear fireworks during Best In Show, a NAMM University session. Six retail buyers, representing single-store operations, small to mid-sized chains and e-tailing, offered their views on the best products and services they saw during Summer NAMM.
This year's panelists included:
- John Grabowski, director of purchasing for Sweetwater Music, an e-tailing superstore based in Fort Wayne, IN
- Mike Guillot, director of purchasing for Mississippi Music, a four-store chain based in Hattiesburg, MS
- George Hines, owner and president of George's Music, a 10-store chain headquartered in Berwyn, PA
- Jim Rupp, owner and president of Columbus Pro Percussion in Columbus, OH
- Myrna Sislen, owner of Middle C Music in Washington, D.C.
- Todd Skaw, owner of Guitars Etc. in Longmont, CO
The panelists were asked to discuss their choices in four specific categories for the nearly 300 attendees of the session. The categories were:
- Something Small - A great product that's either small in price or small in size
- Gotta Stock It - A product that retailers want to stock right now, if they haven't already got it
- Companies to Watch - An exhibitor that is making a difference with trendsetting products or services
- Best In Show - The best product or service that panelists saw at NAMM
The brand-new rock cymbal line from Zildjian had been grabbing attention throughout the show and it did not go unnoticed. Jim Rupp awarded the new Z3 Cymbal Line as Best In Show for Summer NAMM. Jim had the following to say:
"Zildjian took their already established Z Custom heavy hitter - read "metal drummer" - line of cast cymbals, and R&D head Paul Francis has done a complete overhaul. These new cymbals really open up and are much more musical than the old Z Customs. Drummers' tastes have changed in this heavy hitting arena, and Zildjian has changed to match what these hardest-hitting drummers wanted."
We couldn't aggree more as the Power, Projection and Playability of the Z3's speaks for themselves. Whether in your garage, your practice space or on stage at Madison Square Garden, you can be sure you'll be heard with these pies.