Tired of being the butt of all those jokes from your mates? Here’s 38 reasons why the drummer rules the band!
1. Antonio Sanchez – USA, Pat Metheny
Because we have the most control over what any band will sound like. That's why we sit on a throne. Because we are the kings!
2. Venzella Joy – USA, Beyonce
The drummer is the rock of the band. A band cannot be any better than the drummer. We are responsible for creating a solid foundation, setting and keeping a steady pace for the rest of the band.
3. Daniel Hanson - Australia, Ball Park Music
Because your creativity is endless, and you're not always restricted to the same routine for a show. Nothing is better than trying a new fill or chop that works and sounds amazing.
4. Brooks Wackerman – USA, Bad Religion
We're holding the rudder and we can steer that ship anywhere..Call us the captain and the crunch. We have the power to navigate people into a deep seated emotional crisis….or something along those lines.
5. Bunta - Japan, TOTALFAT
Because the drummer can control thousands of people like puppets on a string just by the beats he’s playing.
6. Ian Matthews – UK, Kasabian
I get everyone to dance - from the band, to the audience, the bar staff and even the bouncers at the front door!
7. Stephen Perkins – USA, Jane’s Addiction
The drummers drive the car, they steer, they accelerate, they brake, they are the conductor, the leader, the reason people move their bodies, tap their feet…they are what casts the spell on the ears of the listener- the voodoo.
8. Steve White – UK, Independent /Trio Valore
I think it’s true that a band is only as good as its drummer, everyone loves a drummer too!
9. Lucas van Merwijk – Germany, Independent
You can play and just listen to everybody else around you.
10. Gino Banks, India, Independent
The drummer is the engine of the band. The central main station. Without the drummer the band won't sound like it sounds.
11. Joe Clegg - UK, Ellie Goulding
HA! The guitarist needs someone to keep them in time!
12. Alex Saliner - Australia, Deez Nuts
Because we are the backbone! We control the feel of the music and we keep a lot of things together!
13. Grant Gerathy - Australia, John Butler Trio
We get to make people move. People remember melodies but the first thing anyone ever notices is the groove.
14. Gary Husband – UK, Independent
Well it isn't automatically because you get the girls, much to my amazement when I was younger! The guitarist and bassists are popular, as of course is the singer... but the one, THE one they love, is the sax player!! Ha ha! No, it's a wonderful position to be in because if you're "centering" the music right, and making it feel good, swing and happen EVERYBODY knows it and responds to you. If you change the drummer in a band, you change everything. That's indicative of how prominent, to the fore and how affecting our responsibility is, in any musical situation.
15. Nicolas Viccaro - France, Independent
Difficult to make people dance without a drummer. You're the leader of the different dynamics and of the many different feelings a song or an instrumental piece can have.
16. Richard Jupp – UK, Elbow
Ha!!.... Because everyone wants to be us as we look great! We’ve got the best looking gear and put the physicality into the tunes.
17. Vasily Rudenko – Russia, Elvira T
Because you can sit and relax the whole concert :) It’s a joke of course! I think the drummer is the locomotive. If he is powerful and reliable, the whole band will move in the right tempo!
18. Simon Scheibel – Germany, Lake Cisco
Because he´s the invisible band leader. Every musician has to follow his lead. If he gets slow the whole band gets slow, if he plays wrong, everyone will immediately realize it.
19. Tobias Derer – Germany, You Tuber -Ultimate Music Covers (UMC)
The Drummer is in charge of groove and rhythm. That is what connects a good band with the people.
20. Ivan Panella – Italy, Hopes Die Last
Drummers are probably the hardest position in a band to fill.. But, a good drummer is completely essential in the band. A good drummer keeps the band moving!
21. Bernhard Schimpelsberger – UK, Independent
Drums are the engine. We make people nod their heads and move their bodies!
22. Barry van Zyl – South Africa, Johnny Clegg
The groove starts here.
23. John Tempesta – USA, The Cult
Because we are the coolest! (Ha-Ha). We hold down the foundation and without that, you have no song.
24. Pierre Nakano – Japan, Ling Toshite Shigure
Because the drum is the base of music and relative to melody inextricably.
25. Kent Slucher – USA, Luke Bryan Band
Because you can see the whole stage, you’re driving the ship back there, it's a great feeling.
26. Jacopo Volpe – Italy, Vanilla Sky
We're the soul of the band.
27. Jason Bittner – USA, Shadows Fall
Because we can take out our aggression on the kit.
28. Toni Mateos - Spain, Independent
The drummer is the main engine of a band. He controls the tempo, the dynamics, the global energy of each song. Practice these all skills to be a perfect motor!
29. Roberto Gualdi – Italy, Independent
Because he's the real Captain of the vessel.
30. Kristinn "Kiddi" Agnarsson – Iceland, John Grant
It's the best seat in the house!
31. Ihan Haydar – Denmark, L.I.G.A
The drummer has the best position in the band because a band is only as good as its drummer.
32. Darshan Doshi – India, Bollywood / Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy
It is because he is the backbone of the band.
33. Daniel Platzman – USA, Imagine Dragons
Best seat in the house, can't beat the view!
34. Mike Gaspar – Portugal, Moonspell
Well, first of all we sit in the back and you can have a view of everything that is going on stage. If you’re shy you can hide behind the drums and just have fun! In studio the drums are the first thing you record usually, so it´s a lot of responsibility, but on the other hand I’m the first to get my part done, so I can relax and enjoy the rest of the production. Another good thing is we can get attention from fans but also blend in with the crowd and not get recognized. The singer has a harder time :)
35. James Payne
The drummer coordinates all the other members of the band so, in one way, you have to be very responsible and concentrated the whole time, in another way you can drag the band where you want during live sets. And we have more fun than the others ;)
36. Gavin Harrison – UK, Porcupine Tree/ King Crimson
Because I don't play the guitar.
37. Ben Gordon – Australia, Parkway Drive
Because drummers get the girls.
38. Pete Lockett – UK, Independent Percussionist
Actually, the percussionist is the best position in the band!! :-)
Want more Buzz? Check out these from our Worldwide team of Zildjian Artists:
25 Favorite Cover Songs to Play
28 Tips and Inspiration for Improving Your Drum Fills
25 Motivators When you Don’t Feel Like Practicing