What do coffee makers, a good attitude and clean underwear have in common?
They all top the list of “must have” items to take on tour in this week’s Artist Buzz Roll. If you’re getting ready to hit the road with your band this summer, take a look at some of the handy items you’ll want to have in your suitcase.
Brought to you by the guys and gals who spend more time on a tour bus than in their own homes!
1. Mike Gaspar – Portugal, Moonspell
Nowadays it’s all about iPads, computers etc. They keep us entertained and in contact with everyone while on the road. In the past we would take tons of CD´s and movies, books, and even a football to play around with. We are Portuguese and love to eat so on our last tour we had to have a griller on the bus. It makes the tours so much nicer when you can cook!
2. Bunta (Tatsuya Sugawara) – Japan, TOTALFAT
Ice packs - because I broke my hip joint, so icing the affected area after every show is a must. And a Canon EOS 6D - I love taking pictures of the many views and friend's shows.
3. Brooks Wackerman – USA, Bad Religion
A toothbrush - because it just seems like I should use it.
4. Alex Salinger – Australia, Deez Nuts
Clean socks and clean underwear...
5. Steve White – UK, Independent /Trio Valore
Lap top, I am a victim of the power of the Mac!! I can listen to music, talk to my kids, watch a movie and generally step outside of the bubble that is touring.
6. Gary Husband – UK, Independent
Some good quality closed headphones for the plane journeys. Some movies to "switch off" to. Beyond all the stuff, a GOOD ATTITUDE. Keep "up" for the other members... even on the gigs that don't go so well.
7. John Tempesta – USA, The Cult
Love my coconut water!
8. Kent Slucher – USA, Luke Bryan Band
My shoes. I'm an avid shoe collector so I like having a lot of options :).
9. Ben Gordon – Australia, Parkway Drive
Board shorts. Because you never know when there might be somewhere good to swim.
10. Ash Soan - UK, Recording Artist
11. Jason Bittner – USA, Shadows Fall
An iPod with noise isolating headphones and earplugs...........lots of people I tour with SNORE!!!
12. Daniel Platzman – USA, Imagine Dragons
My special neck pillow.
13. Gino Banks, India, Independent
My Vic Firth 5A Drumsticks.
14. Stephen Perkins – USA, Jane's Addiction
My own pillow – for obvious reasons = ZzZZzZZZzzZZ time is so important on tour- I don't get much sleep on tour, but it needs to be quality sleep!!
15. Joe Clegg - UK, Ellie Goulding
My Polar & Stumptown Aeropress coffee kit. You've just got have good coffee wherever you are in the world!
16. Ivan Panella – Italy, Hopes Die Last
Baby wipes, when you don't have time to take a shower… or you know, for other reasons…
17. Matt Greiner – USA, August Burns Red
I have several books to read in my backpack.
18. Fredrik Larzon – Sweden, Millencolin
Headphones. Need. More. Music.
19. Pierre Nakano – Japan, Ling Toshite Shigure
An electric toothbrush - because it is important to take care of my teeth.
20. Antonio Sanchez – USA, Pat Metheny
My laptop. It's my lifeline to the outside world when I'm on tour.
21. Tobias Derer – Germany, You Tuber -Ultimate Music Covers (UMC)
Laptop. So you don´t get struck by an email-storm when you come back.
22. Toni Mateos - Spain, Independent
Spare stuff!! Headphones, sticks, drumheads, cymbals, metronome... The show must ALWAYS go on!!!
23. Kristinn "Kiddi" Agnarsson – Iceland, John Grant
Besides the obvious stuff, I'd say healthy food. Ginger, a good pillow and earplugs.
24. Bernhard Schimpelsberger – UK, Independent
Swimming trunks - you never know where the next beach is!
25. Barry van Zyl – South Africa, Johnny Clegg
Macbook Pro, mini controller keyboard, assorted drives, Sony 7506's and of course the iPhone.
26. Pete Lockett – UK, Independent Percussionist
WIFI!!!! Connected connected!!
27. Gavin Harrison – UK, Porcupine Tree/ King Crimson
Computer. Can't seem to live without it now. iPod - I remember taking lots of cassettes and a Sony Walkman on tour!
28. Grant Gerathy - Australia, John Butler Trio
iPad, it’s the greatest time waster/communication device/ mobile studio/ music player
29. Venzella Joy – USA, Beyonce
I must have my iPad mini and Dre Beat Buds for off stage. I do everything on my iPad mini including taking form notes for songs. I always have it with me.
30. Steve Judd – Australia, Karnivool
It’s a long list, but my iPod and headphones would probably sit at the top of it. Absolute essentials when it comes to travel.
31. Lucas van Merwijk – Germany, Independent
iPad and headphones
32. Rick Jupp – UK, Elbow
iPad so I can FaceTime home.
33. James Payne – Italy, Hour of Penance
iPod and headphones, to cut some moments for yourself while always being with a lot of people.
34. Ian Matthews – UK, Kasabian
iPad. See Apple.com about why it’s essential!
35. Marito Marques – Portugal, Independent
My laptop! To keep in touch with family and work!
36. Daniel Hanson - Australia, Ball Park Music
37. Ihan Haydar – Denmark, L.I.G.A
Solid headphones to shut the world out when you need space and peace.
38. Jacopo Volpe – Italy, Vanilla Sky
*With all these devices, we’re glad someone remembered a charger!
Want more Buzz? Check out these from our Worldwide team of Zildjian Artists:
31 Tips for Tuning Your Drums
34 Favorite Crash Cymbals and Why They Work
25 Favorite Cover Songs to Play
28 Tips and Inspiration for Improving Your Drum Fills
25 Motivators When you Don’t Feel Like Practicing